Sunday, June 11, 2006

Travel Notes from a Moose

What has happened to international border security these days???

I arrived in Venice today from Madrid and wasn't even asked to show my passport upon my arrival into Italy. I never even saw a member of the border partol, period! No one asked me any questions like if I planned to cause "trouble" here, and worst of all I didn't get a stamp on my passport!

The only "official" person I saw was a man dressed in plainclothes that asked to look through my bag before I left baggage claim. When I told him no and pulled my bags away from him (since I wasn't about to let some strange Italian man not in uniform rifle through my belongings!), a uniformed officer flashed his badge and said that it was ok and that the man was a member of security. However, he didn't look through ANY of the pockets in my baggage and didn't even open all of the compartments.

All of this comes after Stuart and I didn't have to show anyone our passports upon our arrival into Spain last week.

So my question is....what is going on????

2 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Vicki,

The only time Christy or I ever had to show our passports when crossing borders is when we went over a border that took us into or out of the European Union. Don't be distressed - the European Union is trying to decrease barriers to trade and such by opening up their borders, having the same currency, etc. :-) Of course, technically as a foreigner, you should have your passport on hand at all times if someone should want to see it.

Glad you are having fun! Wish I was there and not here...at work (shhhh)

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Fellow Traveler,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the lack of scrutiny at the border crossings. Please be advised that although you are allowed to 'freely' pass from one country or another, we are watching you and are aware of your locations and travel plans. As your friends have already suggested, please keep your passport with you at all times. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to visit one of our 12 visitor booths throughout Italy and Spain. Enjoy the remainder of your stay in Italy.

Juan Carlos
Tourist and Information Manager

 

Post a Comment

<< Home